Carol's Herb & Crowley Cheese Tomatoes
Delicious roasted tomatoes with savory herbs and melted Vermont handcrafted cheese.
- 6 large, ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh white bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1-1/2 cup Crowley Cheese Sharp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Sparingly core the tomatoes and cut them into halves crosswise. Remove seed and juice and place face up on a baking dish. Salt and pepper the halves.
- Make fresh bread crumbs by pulsing 5 or 6 slices of crustless white bread in the food processor. Place in mixing bowl.
- Place scallions, basil, parsley, garlic, thyme and 1 teaspoon salt in the food processor and pulse until minced. Toss herb mixture gently with bread crumbs.
- Fill tomatoes with bread crumb mixture and mound any remaining on top.
- Drizzle with olive oil and bake tomatoes for 15 minutes until tender.
- Take them out of the over, sprinkle them with shredded Crowley Sharp and bake for 2 minutes more ... watch them closely as the cheese melt becomes slightly brown on top.
- Serve hot or at room temperature — they will be delicious both ways. Leftover is good too!
Vermont Life Magazine http://vermontlife.com/